The artwork located on the west wall of the Veterinary Teaching Hospital lobby is set in place to honor the precedence of veterinary excellence Dr. Richard L. Ott set during his years at the College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Ott was one of the most beloved veterinarians, educators, and colleagues in the history of our college. The WSU Small Animal Medical Center was named in his honor.
The piece of art serves as a reminder for the great veterinary medical works we expect from ourselves and provide to our clients and their owners—thanks to Dr. Ott. In 1945, Dr. Ott graduated from the then Washington State College, and returned to WSC in 1949 to head the Small Animal Clinic in the WSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital. For more than four decades he instructed veterinary students, and from 1955 to 1973 he was the chair of what is now the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences. During his tenure, he focused on animal disease research. He received worldwide recognition for his work on canine distemper and feline leukemia. Dr. Ott touched the entire college in many ways and was also the Associate Dean for Public Programs from 1973 until his retirement in 1983.